SD Elements allows you to create custom content to supplement the original content that we ship to you. The power of this approach is that you get access to continued research in application security, while being able to add your own layer or organization policy. The customization is robust enough that many customers use SD Elements to deliver content in other domains, such as infrastructure security, accessibility, legal requirements, vendor/supply chain management, etc.
We use the following nomenclature for content:
- Original content: content that SD Elements creates and ships to you
- Custom content: content that you create
SD Elements allows you customize the following types of content:
- Tasks & How Tos
- Project Settings (including sections, subsections, questions and answers)
The following diagram illustrates the relationship between these components:
Absent of any rules, a Task appears in a project every time the Problem is in-scope, and a How To appears every time its corresponding task is in scope. A Task with the special Problem "Always Applicable" will appear in every project.
All customization works in the following way:
- SD Elements ships content by default, which is updated on a periodic basis. If you are a Software as a Service (SaaS) / hosted client, you will receive these updates automatically. If you are an On Site Deployment (OSD) customer, your administrator will need to pull these updates as they become available.
- When you add new custom content, that content appears alongside original content to the end user. There is generally no visible difference except for identification numbers. In the backend, however, we keep track of custom content differently than original content. You can delete and modify any custom content, but you cannot modify or delete original content except for Tasks.
- For Tasks, when you modify original content, SD Elements keeps a copy of the original version. Your customized version will always take precedence over our version. If we make changes to the original version of content, your modified version will still show up instead of the updated original version. However, you are able to return at any time to the latest original version of content by clicking on "Revert to Original".
New customization features are regularly in our product development roadmap. If you are interested in additional content, please contact your account representative.