The following highlights the considerations for each option:
NOTE: For security considerations and more detail on how SD Elements is secured, see "How is SD Elements Secured?" article
OneSite Deployment (OSD):
This option is available only for Enterprise customers.
- Additional support cost captured in the OSD pricing.
- Backup and monitoring for security and availability is responsibility of the client's IT.
- Updates are generally available within a few days after the update for SaaS.
- Updates need to be applied by the client's admin (as simple as running a single command on the appliance).
- Due to lack of access, resolving technical issues takes longer compared to SaaS and is usually done over webex.
Software as a Service (SaaS) - Dedicated Instance:
This is the default option for all medium and large customers.
- All customizations available to OSD can be done in SaaS dedicated instances.
- Provides complete segregation: Each instance has a dedicated server stack: web, application, and database server. The running environments are completely isolated/segregated.
- Data is backed up hourly and the whole system is backed up daily and stored securely offsite.
- Data and service restoration can be done in a very short time in case of issues.
- Firewall and IDS protected and all security activities are monitored by our trained staff according to industry best practices.
- Monitoring available for application errors.
- SSO available via SAML Federated authentication. LDAP is normally not possible since corporate LDAP servers are typically not available from the outside network.
- Theming and other customization available.
Software as a Service (SaaS) - Shared Instance:
This option is used for Demo, Proof-of-Concept (PoC), and small clients only.
- All considerations of SaaS Dedicated Instances are applicable here except for data segregation.
- Data is segregated at application level. Each organization will have its own completely isolated space/sandbox.
- Theming and SSO are NOT available.
- Localization such as changing the titles Business Unit, Application, and Project to custom strings are NOT available.
- Custom Pluggable Reports are NOT support.
- Unless otherwise specified, other basic features such as API are available similar to other options.